Thursday, July 30, 2009

Harry Potter Vs. Lord of The Rings



To be honest, until now, I didn't like Harry Potter series. I did see the first part when it was released but wasn't that impressed. On the other hand, I immediately like the Lord of the Rings. I like it so much that I saw all the three parts back-to-back. For a long time, I carried my prejudice against the Potter boy.

I sensed the growing euphoria with every edition of JK Rowling's masterpiece. I am not sure why but I was always euphemistic.

I do not who but someone made a very positive comment about Harry Potter. That comment made me change my outlook. The person said that JK Rowling's biggest contribution is that it has made children take up reading books. Kids who were hooked up to TV and PC, now are enthralled by the happenings in magical world of Hogwarts.



I, now, decided to watch Harry Potter 6. I also decided to catch up with Prisoner of Azkaban, Goblet of Fire and Order of Phoenix. I hadn't watched any franchise after Chamber of Secrets and Sorcerer's Stone. Now, I do appreciate JK Rowling's work. Amidst the many wand moments, HP does convey the time-tested story of Good Vs. Evil.



Though, I still believe that Lord of the Rings does better. Not taking anything away from Potter, JRR Tolkien has done a better job in conveying messages of unity in diversity, the resolve of mind and the constant struggle between the mind and the heart.

While I was discussing the movie with Sonia, I felt that LOTR and HP are very similar to our own Mahabharat and Ramayanam.



Would today's kids take to reading our own epics? Will these two epics ever reach the popularity worldwide as contemporary epics have attained?

Some sleek marketing is required!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ramayana and Mahabharata will surely need some re-packaging to get people interested. I for one remember I was hooked on to the Mahabharata series on TV when I was young. I must admit, however, that I have never READ the epics. I wonder if someone will come up with a modern take on these epics like Kamal Hasan's 'Dasaavadharam'!